AIG's losses were driven by unfavorable credit market conditions and writedowns on its investments, including credit default swaps and residential-mortgage-backed securities that were wiped off AIG's books and placed into a facility run by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York last Fall.
As part of a rescue plan outlined at the time, the Fed lent AIG $60 billion in exchange for preferred stock with hefty dividends. AIG has drawn $38 billion from the facility, but was unable to pay its debt, forcing the government to ease up on terms in a broad restructuring plan outlined Monday.
The Fed will now reduce AIG's revolving credit facility and will accept payment for the $38 billion loan plus interest in the form of preferred stock in two relatively healthy AIG subsidiaries, American Life Insurance Co. and American International Assurance Co. The Treasury also said will exchange its existing $40 billion in preferred AIG stock for new preferred shares "that more closely resemble common equity and thus improve the quality of AIG's equity and its financial leverage."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV