Federal regulators by the end of April will complete "stress tests" to determine the financial health of the top 19 major U.S. banking organizations with more than $100 billion in assets. While we can't replicate the government's tests with available data, we can get a pretty good idea of which banks will be scrutinized and what the results will look like.
The stress tests are "forward-looking capital assessments" meant to determine whether any of the large bank holding companies need "an additional capital buffer during this period of heightened uncertainty," according to the Treasury's White Paper on the Capital Assistance Program. Regulators will conduct two tests: One using assumptions for gross domestic product growth and unemployment expected by most economists; and another using a "more adverse scenario," reflecting a deeper recession than what is currently forecast.
Holding companies found to be in need of additional capital will have six months to either raise some or all of the capital privately, or apply to immediately raise some or all of the needed capital from the treasury, through the CAP.
In the below list, we have emphasized the ratio of nonperforming loans and debt securities to tier-1 capital and loan loss reserves. This is also known as the "Texas Ratio."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV