Winners and Losers: Bare Escentuals
Updated from 12:42 p.m. ET
Bare Escentuals (BARE) shares rose 10.1% to $3.16 as the cosmetics company sees business strengthening later in the year. But the company did report a fourth-quarter profit that missed expectations.
Bare Escentuals expects EPS of 12 cents to 15 cents in the first quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect first-quarter earnings of 23 cents per share. Bare Escentuals also said its earnings fell 9 percent in the fourth quarter.
"Many retail partners are currently in the process of managing down inventory on hand," Thomas Weisel Partners analyst Jim Duffy wrote Thursday. He further noted that the company expects sales trends to improve later in the year.Citi Investment Research analyst Wendy Nicholson wrote Thursday that the company's sales growth in the fourth quarter was "a pleasant surprise" and she likes the company's plans for international growth. She kept a buy rating on the shares. Image Entertainment (DISK) shares rose 13.3% to $1.45 after the home-film maker said it would change its deal with acquirer Nyx. The companies said in November that Nyx agreed to buy Image for $2.75 per share in cash, or about $60.2 million. The total acquisition was valued at about $100 million, including outstanding debt. Image said that the deal was initially set to close Feb. 26, two days after shareholders approved it. But Image wants Nyx to agree to several conditions, including raising the amount of a business interruption fee in exchange for extending the deal's closing date. Image said that if the companies can't agree on the changes by the end of the day, it will end the deal and collect a business interruption fee from Nyx.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV