(FSLR) are off roughly 20% today
Shares do indeed look vulnerable to further selling, as the next few quarters could prove to be a bit scary. But shares are unlikely to reach those most bearish targets, as the company's brighter longer-term outlook is likely to lure buying support if the stock breaches the $100 mark.
Most importantly, as I'll note in a bit, the outlook for smaller, more poorly capitalized rivals could really get hammered in coming quarters.At first glance, First Solar's quarterly report was quite impressive. Fourth-quarter sales rose 24% sequentially to $434 million, and full-year sales rose more than 140% to $1.25 billion. The $132 million in quarterly profits made a strong cash balance even more impressive, rising to $852 million. Most rivals are far less flush, and those that hope to raise money to keep going in 2009 may be out of luck. First Solar also broke the magical $1 mark in terms of costs per watt. That's an industry first, and it keeps the company well below its peers that rely on polysilicon. In fact, management says that metric could fall to 65 cents in a few years, which implies that we are moving closer to the day when solar power can effectively compete with fossil fuels without the support of subsidies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV