"The other solvent players in the industry are experiencing not the same kind of problems as AIG, but problems that are straining their capital base," says Adam Sherman, president of Firstrust Financial Resources. "So, those once-healthy suitors of AIG's businesses -- the Chubbs (CB) of the world, the Fireman's Funds, the AXAs (AXA) and the Prudentials (PRU) -- are all dealing with their own capital issues and they can't pay the dollar amount that AIG would find acceptable."
Sherman has been involved in the insurance business for over 15 years, and works with all the major firms to analyze product offerings for Firstrust clients. He says that while AIG wanted $4 billion for its American General unit, it only received bids in the $1 million range. CEOs of other large firms are performing due diligence for the assets AIG is shopping around, but "I don't think anybody feels comfortable buying something of that magnitude at this time, when the entire industry's
Furthermore, buyers -- well aware of AIG's desperate situation -- are holding all the bargaining chips.
"You know that your neighbor has got to sell his or her car," says David Steuber, co-chair of the Insurance Recovery practice at Howrey LLP. "It's sitting there and you know that they absolutely positively have to sell that car. What are you going to do? You're going to hold on and wait and wait and wait until you get the lowest possible price."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV