But the money may not all have been wasted from Flowers' perspective -- at least not in one important instance. In an unusual one-time return to his earlier career as an adviser on bank M&A, Flowers signed off on BofA 's ill-fated acquisition of Merrill Lynch in September, splitting a $20 million advisory fee with Fox-Pitt, Kelton, a boutique investment bank he recently acquired.
Two private equity investors and an investment banker suspect Flowers may have billed his investors for the work on Merrill Lynch without sharing the fee with them. That is because the work he did on Merrill initially was as a potential investor. He then switched hats, but they assume he had no arrangement with them to share advisory fee revenues, as this was an unexpected situation. Flowers declined to respond to these suspicions.
One executive who oversees private equity for a multibillion dollar institutional investment portfolio would not say whether he was invested with Flowers, though he says he knows him personally, likes and respects him, and demonstrated great familiarity with his investments.
"He's got to make sure that what he does over the next 12 to 18 months works out and works out really well," the executive said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV