Updated from 7:02 a.m. EST
The markets rose sharply on Tuesday, pulling away from 12-year lows even after a new report showed that consumer confidence plunged to a record low in February. But this mini-rally hardly eases any pain on Wall Street. Amid investors' worries about the economy in general and the faltering banking system, the Dow has fallen 1,100 points since Feb. 9.
In stocks, two of the nation's major retailers are feeling the doubt that consumers are experiencing. Macy's (M) saw its profit drop almost 59% during the three months ended Jan. 31, posting earnings of $310 million, or 73 cents a share. A year prior, the company earned $750 million, or $1.73 a share.
Meanwhile, discount retailer Target (TGT) saw its profit plunge 41% in the fourth quarter. The retailer said it earned $609 million, or 81 cents a share, in the quarter ended Jan. 31 compared to $1.03 billion, or $1.23 a share, in the year-ago period.With this in mind, we thought we'd take a look at some of the stocks people have been searching for TheStreet.com (including Netflix (NFLX)) and see what Jim Cramer's had to say about them lately. To read more, visit Stockpickr.com. In Wednesday trading, shares of Netflix closed at $35.79 (down 0.75% for the day; up 19.74% year-to-date).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV