Getting the Most Mileage from Auto Insurance
When buying car insurance, it's important to strike the right balance between saving money and get the right amount of coverage to protect yourself. Finding that balance will depend on your driving record, your coverage needs and how good you are at doing a little research.
Here are five tips to get you started:
1. Shop around: The price of coverage you'll get varies greatly from provider to provider, sometimes by hundreds of dollars or more. The reason for the variation lies in differences among the rating systems used to price your policy. Different systems weigh the relative impact of factors such as your age, marital status and driving history. While a history of reckless driving will likely boost your premiums across the board, the rise won't be equal among each provider.
Start your search at BankingMyWay.com's Insurance Center to find quotes from industry leaders, such as Allstate (ALL), Progressive (PGR) and Nationwide (NFS). By getting as many rate quotes as possible, you'll increase your chances of getting the best coverage at the best price.2. Adjust your coverage levels: The minimum requirement for insurance coverage varies from state to state. Check this list to see what your state requires. For coverage components such as personal liability, you can't lower your coverage below the minimum limit, but you may want to consider raising it higher in order to protect your personal assets if there's ever a claim against you. Alternatively, by raising the deductible on the collision and comprehensive components of your policy, you can lower your premium since you're agreeing to take on more of the costs should an accident occur.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV