Investments whose potential rewards outweigh their risks are hard to find, but they exist.
If the usual financial gauges aren't generating worthwhile options, consider using a different yardstick: the Sharpe ratio. It's the classic measure of risk and return developed by Nobel laureate William Sharpe in 1966.
To calculate a fund's Sharpe ratio, take its return and subtract the "risk-free rate," the theoretical return on securities with no default risk, such as short-term Treasuries. The difference is then divided by the fund's standard deviation, a volatility measure that reflects how far returns stray from past averages.
The 10 exchange traded funds below have Sharpe ratios of 1 or more. Seven of them hold A-plus grades from TheStreet.com Ratings.With the stock market on the fritz, the Sharpe ratio favors fixed-income and currency funds. The SPDR Barclays Capital Intermediate Term Treasury ETF (ITE), which has returned 7.3% in the past year, had the highest Sharpe ratio. The fund tracks an index of fixed-rate, non-convertible Treasuries with at least one but no more than 10 years until maturity and at least $250 million in outstanding face value. The index excludes special issues, such as Treasury inflation-protected securities, or TIPS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV