The trading panel on CBNC's "Fast Money" TV show discussed some survival tactics on another dark market session on Monday.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 250.89, or 3.41%, to 7,114.48, while the S&P 500 fell 26.72, or 3.47%, to 743.33. The Nasdaq dropped 53.51, or 3.71%, to 1,387.72.
Dylan Ratigan, the moderator of the show, asked the panel to focus on what trading strategies they would make in the interim while waiting for the market to recover.
Pete Najarian told viewers not to attempt to buy the bottom of anything. He said he's stayed away from the banking sector except for some of the names the panel has liked such as Morgan Stanley (MS).Tim Seymour said he was trading "light." "You can't really manage a portfolio" under these circumstances, he said. Ratigan asked Adami what to make of General Electric (GE) dipping below $8. Adami said the negative number must be coming from its financial arm because GE's infrastructure business alone is worth at least $9. He said the company probably deserves that valuation because it is doing poorly in real estate. Karen Finerman agreed, noting the company has a huge lending book and is bogged down by a financial business that is intertwined with its other businesses. Seymour said he found it unbelievable that the stock is yielding 14%. "It's not supposed to do that," he said. Ratigan moved on to a healthy side of the market: the pharmaceuticals, biotech and medical devices. Najarian noted that the rejection of bids by CV Therapeutics (CVTX) and Genentech (DNA) underscores the amount of cash in this sector and the opportunities for growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV