Nova Chemicals Bought by Abu Dhabi Firm
Nova Chemicals (NCX) has accepted a buyout offer from the Abu Dhabi investment firm International Petroleum Investment Co. (IPIC) worth roughly $2.3 billion on Monday.
IPIC will pay $6 per share for Nova, which was trading at $1.34 at the close of regular trading on Friday. IPIC will also assume all of Nova Chemical's outstanding debt, and will underwrite a $250 million credit backstop facility to help Nova Chemicals shore up liquidity.
Nova was caught in a cash squeeze along with its peers in the global petrochemical market as the global economy sunk into a recession last fall. The company accepted IPIC's buyout offer so that it can "meet all of its obligations to all of its stakeholders," according to a statement released Monday.
"The opportunity to join IPIC comes at a good time for NOVA Chemicals and will enable us to offer both stability and long-term growth to many of our stakeholders," said Jeff Lipton, CEO of NOVA Chemicals. "IPIC is well financed and has a track record of working successfully with companies like ours."Nova and its subsidiaries produce basic plastics and other chemicals. The company is officially based in Calgary Canada but has a U.S. headquarters in Pittsburgh. Shares of Nova Chemicals are traded on the New York Stock Exchange and on the Toronto Stock Exchange. U.S. shares of Nova Chemicals soared almost 300% on the merger news and were recently fetching $5.31 per share. Elsewhere in the chemical space, Dow Chemical (DOW) was falling 6.9% at $7.60 per share, DuPont (DD) was 4.1% lower at $19.51 per share, and Rohm and Haas (ROH) was down 3% at $54.42 per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV