Winners and Losers: Nova Chemicals
Updated from 1:07 p.m. ET
Shares of Nova Chemicals (NCX) were up $3.87, or 289%, to $5.21 Monday on news that International Petroleum Investment Co. of Abu Dhabi will buy the Canadian company for $6 a share in a $2.3 billion deal.
Nova is one of North America's top plastics and chemicals companies and gets 45% of its revenue in the U.S., 35% in Canada, and 20% in Europe and elsewhere.
"The opportunity to join IPIC comes at a good time for Nova Chemicals and will enable us to offer both stability and long-term growth to many of our stakeholders," said Jeff Lipton, Nova CEO. "IPIC is well financed and has a track record of working successfully with companies like ours."
Rosedale-Minn.-based EnteroMedics (ETRM) shares rose 45 cents, or 39.3% to $1.59 on news Friday of a $16 million private placement.Healthspring (HS) shares plunged $4.83, or 32.6% to $9.98 after receiving a downgrade Monday by BMO Capital Markets from market perform to underperform. Humana (HUM) fell $9.71, or 25% to $30.83 on concerns that Medicare health care providers would be hurt after the federal government proposed a much lower-than-expected payment-rate hike for 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV