Updated from 12:20 a.m. EST
Citigroup's (C) investors may be relieved that the banking institution is not being fully nationalized, but that doesn't mean the company won't suffer from being under tighter government control.
The Wall Street Journal reported late Sunday that the company is in talks with federal officials that could result in the U.S. government substantially expanding its ownership of the bank to as much as 40%, citing people familiar with the situation.
In its proposed plan to regulators, Citi executives hope the stake will be closer to 25%, these people said, the Journal reports. But there is the possibility the talks could fall apart, the Journal adds.Shares of Citi jumped as high as 27% on Monday, before closing up 9.7% to $2.14. Investors seemed calmed by the fact that a larger government equity stake "could be a better outcome than a full nationalization as some have feared," Jason Goldberg, an analyst at Barclays Capital, wrote in a note. Still at it current stock price, Citi has just two choices -- nationalization or additional government intervention, says Morningstar analyst Jaime Peters. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV