TD Ameritrade (AMTD) announced Wednesday it would buy back 34 million shares from founder Joe Ricketts' family, which will use the proceeds to help finance its purchase of the Chicago Cubs.
The online brokerage firm will buy the Ricketts' stock for $11.85 per share as part of its existing buyback programs, the company said in a statement. These buyback programs include the repurchase of shares it plans to issue in its proposed acquisition of thinkorswim Group (SWIM).
"This transaction with our founder will allow us to complete our existing buyback plans with immediate accretion for all of our shareholders," said Ameritrade CEO Fred Tomczyk.
The Ricketts family, Ameritrade's second largest shareholder, will continue to own 17.7% of the company's shares and hold two seats on its board.Shares of Ameritrade, which competes with such companies as Charles Schwab (SCHB) and E*Trade Financial Corp. (ETFC), were down 0.8% to $12.47 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV