- Income tax credit: $400 for individuals, $800 for couples. The tax credit phases out for singles with income over $75,000 and couples earning over $150,000. Problem: You won't see the money until you file taxes next year, unless your employer is willing to readjust withholding schedules!
- Car-buyer sales-tax deduction: Deduct state and local sales and excise taxes even if you don't itemize. Problem: Applies only to new cars and may not be enough to make much difference.
- First-time home-buyer credit: Refundable tax credit of 10% of purchase price up to $8,000 for purchases in 2009. Phases out at incomes over $75,000 single, $150,000 couple. Problem: Credit maxes out at $80,000 home price, too low a limit. Must be repaid if house is sold within three years.
- Pell grants increased by $500: Max grant is now $5,350 in 2009. Problem: Nice headline, but not enough to help the poorest students, and where's the stimulus effect?
- Higher-ed tax credit: Spend up to $4,000 on higher education, and get a $2,500 credit. Problem: Limited to those already spending college money, and doesn't make borrowing -- or repayments -- easier.
- COBRA health insurance help: Employer will pay 65% of costs to extend your health-care coverage after you're unemployed. Problem: Very helpful to those who lose jobs, but may still leave them with significant monthly cost. And, again, where's the stimulus?
Stimulus Plan Needs Better Ideas
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.