Stock Market Game Week in Review
The Stock Market Game is a curriculum-based teaching tool that allows students to invest a hypothetical $100,000 online stock portfolio to learn about long-term saving and investing.
Although the East Coast got a short glimpse of spring earlier in the week, the markets remain in a deep freeze.
On Friday, President Obama's massive economic stimulus plan was front and center as the House passed it, delayed by lingering controversy. While proponents of the plan feel it will begin to thaw the economic mess by creating/saving 3.5 million jobs, critics contend the bill is filled with unnecessary spending and provisions that will do little to boost the economy. (The package passed the Senate late Friday.)
Earlier in the week, the markets tumbled after U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner revealed plans to assess financial institutions' health and remove their toxic assets with the help of private investors, but he provided few details on how the process would actually work. Stocks rebounded Friday morning as investors awaited the stimulus bill's passage through the House and Senate, but closed the day in negative territory. (Don't miss "Stocks Drop Again Ahead of Presidents Day")As The Stock Market Game wraps up its prize patrols for the InvestWrite national essay contest winners (and state winners in some states) for the fall semester, we've fielded many questions from students frustrated by the losses they are experiencing in their portfolios. They want quick "fixes" and tips on stocks that will turn their ailing portfolios around. Many may remain frustrated by our advice (since it is not guaranteed to catapult them in the rankings) as we continue to stress the importance of research and the long-term benefits of saving and investing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV