Activist investing takes places in even the largest multinational firms, as was the case with Bill Ackman of Pershing Square Capital Management, who forced McDonald's (MCD) to make vital changes to its menu, improve customer service and realize hidden real estate value, all of which ultimately led to a doubling in McDonald's stock price.
Another large multinational firm engaged with an activist investor is Yahoo! (YHOO). Now-board-member Carl Icahn has so far been unsuccessful in his attempts to get Yahoo! to sell its search business -- or even the entire company -- to Microsoft (MSFT).
But sometimes the activist investor isn't just another hedge fund. Take GSI Group (GSIG). Stephen W. Bershad, the CEO of Axsys Technologies (AXYS), put his own capital on the line when he recently bought 3.3 million shares of GSI Group in the open market.
To read more, visit Stockpickr.com.Editor's note: David Peltier will be on Stockpickr Answers today to respond to questions posed by members of the Stockpickr community. Not a member? Join the Stockpickr community today - for free.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV