Sirius XM (SIRI) said it has exchanged some of its debt due in December, but the satellite radio provider acknowledged Friday that if more transactions aren't successfully completed it may be forced to file for bankruptcy protection as early as next week.
Sirius XM said in a press release that it has exchanged $172.5 million of existing convertible senior notes due in December for new senior secured notes now due in June 2011. Before the transaction, $400 million of the senior notes were set to mature in December, leaving approximately $227.5 million in senior notes outstanding.
The company said the exchange is part of a "larger restructuring effort," which has created a whirlwind of speculation in previous days about Sirius XM's viability. Sirius XM confirmed it was in discussions with other parties regarding transactions that could refinance some of the company's and its subsidiaries' debt.
"These transactions may not be successfully consummated," the company said in the release. "If these transactions are not consummated, it may be forced to file for bankruptcy protection as early as February 17, 2009."With few days remaining until a chunk of the company's approximately $3.2 billion in debt will come due, Sirius XM is in a very tough spot. While staring down a potential bankruptcy protection deadline, Sirius XM and its CEO Mel Karmazin has been working to thwart an attempt by EchoStar (SATS) and its CEO Charles Ergen to take control of the company. EchoStar, which sells set-top boxes and was the former parent of Dish Network (DISH), has accumulated part of a $300 million tranche of Sirius XM debt set to mature Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV