Stanford Financial's CDs Probed: Report
Stanford Financial Group's certificate of deposits have attracted the attention of federal and state regulators who are investigating the investment strategies that allow the firm to offer interest rates more than twice the market average, BusinessWeek reported.
Stanford says it generates the high returns by investing CD money in stocks, real estate, hedge funds and precious metals. The Houston-based firm says it follows industry standards for marketing and sales and that the regulatory scrutiny is part of "routine examinations," according to BusinessWeek.
Privately held Stanford, founded in 1932, says on its Web site that its investment goal is to "provide consistent returns regardless of market volatility." The company says its assets under management or advisement top $50 billion.
The Securities & Exchange Commission, the Florida Office of Financial Regulation, and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority are all investigating Stanford Financial, focusing on the high-yield CDs and how the company could afford to offer employees large bonuses and other perks such as luxury cars and vacations, BusinessWeek reported, citing people close to the investigations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV