Tech Funds Rebound on Earnings Surprises
Investors last week shifted money from money market funds and U.S. Treasuries to technology stocks as some companies' fourth-quarter earnings beat expectations.
The average technology fund we track gained 2.5% in the five trading days ending Feb. 5, excluding inverse funds that sell short technology and Internet stocks.
Amazon.com (AMZN), which surged 26.4% in the five trading days, had its best holiday season ever. In the latest quarter, the company increased net income by 8.7% to $225 million from a year earlier on $6.7 billion in sales, up 18%.
Adding to its sales of digital music and videos, Amazon.com has expanded its offerings to include a library of more than 600 casual games at a sub-$10 price point. The company also will begin collecting payment-processing fees on its Amazon Flexible Payments Service in June.At 34.4% of assets, Amazon.com is the largest holding of Internet HOLDRs Trust (HHH), the best-performing technology fund, gaining 11.7% last week. Yahoo! (YHOO), the fund's second-biggest holding, rose 15.1% after it announced it was shutting its "Briefcase" storage service. eBay (EBAY), up 7.8% for the period, integrated its payment-processing system with Moneybookers USA. Ultra Semiconductor ProShares (USD), the second-best-performing technology mutual fund, up 11.67% on 200% leverage, and Semiconductor UltraSector ProFund (SMPIX), the sixth-best performer, up 10.49% on 150% leverage, track stocks in the Dow Jones U.S. Semiconductor Index. Standouts among the holdings include Micron Technology (MU), up 14%; Nvidia (NVDA), up 13%; and Texas Instruments (TXN), up 12.6%. Judicial proceedings in Rambus' (RMBS) patent case were halted as the claims were deemed to be "unenforceable" against Micron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV