The new Eee PC itself is quite wonderful as well. The package includes a 160GB internal hard drive, 10GB of file-encrypted Eee Online Storage, 1GB of RAM, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, an easy-to-see 10-inch screen and an easy-to-use "Chiclets"-style keyboard. It runs on Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows XP operating system
The rechargeable battery back deserves a separate mention. This newly designed battery -- along with the special Eee "Super Hybrid Engine" processor-controlling, power-saving software -- is reportedly capable of providing up to a whopping 9.5 hours of battery between charges. I'm told that those numbers are real, although I've found that in real life situations you usually get 20%-30% less than the stated amount. That still means the battery should last 6.5 to 8 hours or so.
Asus is currently accepting pre-orders for the 1000HE. Whether you want it in Fine Ebony Black or in a nice-looking blue, the new, faster Eee retails for $399. But, for a limited time, an additional $25 instant rebate will bring the price down to $374 for pre-orders.
I'll play with the new Eee a while longer and let you know what I find. But for now, I'm impressed with the new processor's speed and what it promises for future Netbooks. Maybe we'll see one from Apple (AAPL) someday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV