In spite of my views on the market, I run my screens every week. I look for stocks that meet the Schloss criteria -- those selling below book value with little debt and insider ownership. This helps me find the small, cheap stocks like Sycamore Networks (SCMR) trading for less than cash that I want to own now. It also helps me find companies like Darling International (DAR) -- profitable, solid companies I will want to buy in a selloff.
I also run my Ben Graham screen every week. This produces a list of profitable companies trading at P/E ratios below 8 that own at least twice as much as they owe. I may not buy shares of Forest Labs (FRX) today, but it is on my list to buy when the market reaches my downside targets. Garmin (GRMN) probably has more weakness ahead of it due to very weak consumer spending, but given its strong financial condition and dominant market share, it is on my list of recovery stocks to buy at lower prices. Running the screens and finding promising stocks now gives me time to do the homework. When the stock market gets to my levels, I will not have the time to read 10-Qs and 10-Ks. No one will ring a bell a week in advance so I can go through the institutional shareholder lists or read the latest proxy filing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV