Instead of buying plane tickets to Hawaii for Christmas vacation in 2012, you could take your family for a five-minute trip into space.
So claims Steven G. Wurst, president of Space Access, which plans to build a fleet of eight vehicles for suborbital flights. He notes that his company, founded in 1994, expects to send tourists into suborbital space by 2012 "for about the price of an ocean cruise" and into low Earth orbit by 2015 for "roughly the price of chartering a small business jet." That is, up to a few hundred thousand dollars.
A suborbital flight will take you just outside of the Earth's atmosphere, about 62 miles above the ground, and reach a top speed of 4,500 mph. This is not high or fast enough to put the spacecraft into orbit, but you will still get to experience weightlessness for a few minutes. Entering low Earth orbit, your spacecraft will reach a height of at least 100 miles above the planet's surface and fly at speeds approaching 17,500 mph. The spacecraft will orbit the Earth every 90 minutes. Clients will be able to spend up to 10 days in space.
|Space Access plans to build a fleet of vehicles to send tourists into suborbital space by 2012 "for about the price of an ocean cruise," company President Steven G. Wurst says.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV