Instead of buying plane tickets to Hawaii for Christmas vacation in 2012, you could take your family for a five-minute trip into space.
So claims Steven G. Wurst, president of Space Access, which plans to build a fleet of eight vehicles for suborbital flights. He notes that his company, founded in 1994, expects to send tourists into suborbital space by 2012 "for about the price of an ocean cruise" and into low Earth orbit by 2015 for "roughly the price of chartering a small business jet." That is, up to a few hundred thousand dollars.
A suborbital flight will take you just outside of the Earth's atmosphere, about 62 miles above the ground, and reach a top speed of 4,500 mph. This is not high or fast enough to put the spacecraft into orbit, but you will still get to experience weightlessness for a few minutes. Entering low Earth orbit, your spacecraft will reach a height of at least 100 miles above the planet's surface and fly at speeds approaching 17,500 mph. The spacecraft will orbit the Earth every 90 minutes. Clients will be able to spend up to 10 days in space.
|Space Access plans to build a fleet of vehicles to send tourists into suborbital space by 2012 "for about the price of an ocean cruise," company President Steven G. Wurst says.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV