After a 20-year consumption binge, an unrealistic dependency on asset appreciation in home and stock prices and what Oaktree's Howard Marks terms "a willingness" to take on risk at all levels of our economy, the future is one of higher savings and a lower standard of living, one of reduced expectations and, in all likelihood, substandard investment returns.
It is not the end of the world, but it is a different world.
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."The heavy economic and policy lifting lies ahead. The "great unwind" of debt and the toxic holes in the capital of our financial intermediaries, coupled with a "cooked" U.S. consumer whose leverage was at an all- time high going into the downturn and whose net worths have been devastated by lower home and stock prices, pose as powerful headwinds and suggest that there is no quick fix. As investors, we are now on heightened alert as we no longer should consider what might go right with our investments, in our asset classes and/or with the companies in which we research/invest. Our first task, now and for the rest of the year, is to consider what might go wrong. At any moment, a reasonably strong rally could develop. Indeed, the downbeat tone of this very column could be reason enough to be more optimistic and to conclude that negativity has been materially discounted in share prices. My hope and the hope for the markets remain centered around the new administration's announcement of a comprehensive and coherent approach to cleaning up our banks' toxic assets, arresting foreclosures and successfully unclogging the transmission of credit. I suspect that the deliveries of such proposals are close at hand and, depending on their scope and acceptance, may represent a positive for the oversold stock market.
-- Leo Tolstoy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV