Regulators Close Three More Banks
Regulators in the U.S. shuttered two banks and one savings and loan Friday, bringing the tally of failed institutions in 2009 to six.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation was named receiver all three companies.
The Utah Department of Financial Institutions shut down Magnet Bank of Salt Lake City. Unable to find a buyer for the bank's deposits, the FDIC is liquidating the bank and will mail checks to retail depositors on Monday morning.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency closed Ocala National Bank of Ocala, Fla., and the FDIC arranged for all deposits to be assumed by CenterState Banks of Florida (CSFL)), based in Winter Haven, Fla.And the Office of Thrift Supervision shuttered Suburban Federal Savings Bank of Crofton, Md., with the Bank of Essex of Tappahannock, Va. assuming all deposits.
Magnet BankAs of Dec. 2, Magnet Bank had total assets of $292.9 million and total deposits of $282.8 million. Most of the deposits were brokered CDs, making the bank unattractive to potential acquirers. TheStreet.com Ratings had assigned Magnet Bank an E- (Very Weak) financial strength rating back in June, downgrading the institution from a D- (Weak) because of a rapid increase in losses from nonperforming construction and development loans. Loan charge offs peaked in the third quarter, when a net loss of $24 million caused the bank's ratios to slip so far that it was considered undercapitalized per regulatory guidelines, with leverage and risk-based capital ratios of 4.94% and 6.76%, respectively. These ratios need to be at least 5% and 10%, respectively, for a bank or thrift to be considered well-capitalized.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV