Just in Time: Five Winter Vacation Bargains
London: No, seriously. No, I mean it, ducky. This may sound counter-intuitive, given that the British capital is usually one of the world's most expensive cities, but London hasn't been this affordable in years. And if it drizzles, so what? With its splendid galleries and museums, restaurants and theaters, there's no better place to be indoors. General admission to cultural treasures such as the National Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum and National Portrait Gallery is free. With the British pound trading at $1.40, the lowest since 1985, once-stratospheric prices are losing altitude, and that's a good thing for visitors who want a rich experience but don't want to ransom the Bank of England to get it. Even posh London hotels, long known for eye-watering rates, are coming down a bit. Como Hotels' boutique Halkin Hotel and trendsetter Metropolitan Hotel are knocking 200 pounds (about $280) off nightly rack rates through May 31.
A similar phenomenon is rippling through the English countryside: A superior double room at stately Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, in Yorkshire, booked through Travelocity on Sunday, March 29, costs just $137 a night. Post-winter, the situation gets pricier; the same room booked on Travelocity costs $332 on Sunday, Sept. 27.
OK, we said five great winter bargains, but there are many, so here's one more: Walt Disney Co. is offering seven-night stays and seven days of park tickets at Walt Disney World Resorts for the price of a four-night stay and four days of park tickets -- great family fun.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV