House Democrats may be hailing the passage of a massive economic-stimulus bill, but Wall Street's reaction hasn't nearly as cheerful.
With the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan now headed to the Senate for debate, markets are showing ample displeasure with the bill in its current form. The economic recovery plan passed muster in the U.S. House of Representatives by a vote of 244-188 Wednesday evening, with 177 Republicans unanimous in their opposition to the package -- despite President Barack Obama's urging of bipartisan support.
Following the House's quick passage of the $819 billion recovery plan, which came just eight days after Obama's inauguration, Democrats trumpeted the benefits the package will bring to the U.S. economy.
"This legislation will go a long way toward addressing
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV