Given the sinking global economy and the beating your 401(k) balance has taken over the past 18 months, retirement may be the last thing on your mind.
You might have more pressing worries, such as holding on to your job or building up an emergency fund. What's more, you may not feel comfortable pouring more of your money into the market. That's all understandable, but now is not the time to stop saving for retirement.
A recent study by T. Rowe Price (TROW) found that investors should strive to save at last 15% of their pre-tax salary to enjoy a comfortable retirement. That sounds like a lot, especially these days. Still, remember that saving for retirement may be the biggest financial challenge you'll ever face.
"Saving any amount is better than nothing," says Greg Schultz, a principal at Asset Allocation Advisors in Walnut Creek, California. "Times are uncertain and people are nervous, but stopping now is not smart. The future will come -- sooner than you think -- and you will be really glad if you keep saving through these troubled times."Your 401(k): Feeding employer-sponsored retirement accounts, such as your 401(k) plan, may be especially important. One of Schultz's clients recently pondered stopping his contributions to pay down his mortgage aggressively. Schultz pointed out that, unlike extra mortgage payments, 401(k) contributions are pre-tax, employer matches amount to "free money" and earnings are tax-deferred. "When he looked at it that way, my client couldn't afford to not take advantage of all of those things," Schultz says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV