AirTran Optimistic Despite Loss
AirTran (AAI) reported a fourth-quarter loss due primarily to fuel hedging, but said it expects to be profitable this year.
The Orlando, Fla.-based carrier said it lost $118.4 million, or $1 a share, which included a nonoperating loss of $147.7 million related to fuel hedge contracts. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated a loss of 3 cents. In the same period a year earlier, AirTran lost $2.17 million or 2 cents a share.
Revenue was $589.4 million, up 1%. Analysts had estimated $588 million.
During the quarter, AirTran unwound approximately 78% of its 2009 fuel hedge contracts in order to mitigate the potential for additional losses on further oil price declines."Despite the industry challenge shifting from high oil costs to concerns regarding consumer demand, our 2008 initiatives have us well positioned to return to profitability in 2009," CEO Bob Fornaro said in a prepared statement. Fourth-quarter passenger revenue per available seat mile rose 6.8%. Capacity fell by 6.5%, as traffic fell by 2.2%, resulting in a record fourth-quarter load factor of 78.7%. For the full year, capacity increased by 4.9%. On the cost side, AirTran's adjusted cost per available seat mile was 6.45 cents, up 6.3%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV