Plant a Tree for Mother Nature -- for $2,500?
Planting trees in urban and suburban environments is generally good. There has been a steady decline in recent decades in the number of trees that line the streets in American cities and we need to reverse this trend, according to the nonprofit group America Forests. Urban trees absorb pollution and keep air quality reasonably good and new research shows that if our air is cleaner, we live longer.
Planting just one tree on your front lawn, your curb or in your backyard helps. In case you're like me and all the trees you plant in your backyard turn brown and die, you can also give money to an organization that plants urban trees.
But urban shade doesn't come cheap. At NYRP, tree-related donations start at $100 for a sapling and go up to $2,500 for a fruit tree. At Prospect Park, the urban oasis down the street from me, I would have to pay $750 to $1,000 to have one tree planted or $10,000 for a grove. For that price I get to have some say over what type of tree is planted and where in the park it's planted, so I can visit it when I want to. But even so -- ouch!A spokesperson for American Forests explains that planting trees costs more in the city because they need to be more mature than the seedlings you can plant in friendlier rural environments. Additionally, these prices often are meant to cover several years of pruning and fertilizers to make sure the tree thrives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV