When analyzing a company's value, I follow an exacting process. I read all the data available on the company and its competitors, analyze the footnotes and financial statements, and make multiple adjustments to the reported income statement and balance sheet. This process often enables me to derive an accurate view of what lies at the heart of the company as opposed to accepting management's reports at face value.
Once I have normalized for my adjustment, I derive fair value using seven different earnings methodologies and then work toward one consensus number.
Even though I have analyzed all relevant information fairly and objectively, I still need a discount factor that reflects the possibility that my analysis is flawed.To create a margin of safety, I only buy the company's stock if I can purchase the shares at a 20% discount to fair value. When I apply these steps to making an informed investment decision, many stocks fail to meet my requirements. Most well-known companies that operate strong franchises sell at a premium that reflects both the value of the company and its position in the market. As often mentioned in my weekly newsletter EPIC Insights,this usually forces me to consider lesser-known companies or those facing serious business problems. However, I occasionally find an opportunity to purchase a solid company at an attractive price level. This week I have found such an opportunity with Coca-Cola (KO).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV