Updated from 12:50 p.m. EST
Verizon's shares slipped $1.03, or 3.3%, to $29.96, reversing a broader stock market rally that saw the Dow and the Nasdaq increase 0.72% and 1.04%, respectively.
Even after posting a 15% hike in its fourth-quarter profit, and reporting healthy revenue, the firm's results suggest that there are plenty of challenges in store for Verizon.Whereas Verizon's wireless business grew 12.3% year over year to $12.8 billion, its wireline operation was a different story. The company's total wireline revenues, for example, slipped 2.7% to $11.9 billion, prompting at least one analyst to voice his concern. "With all the focus on wireless, perhaps it's time for the debate to shift back to the wireline business," wrote Craig Moffet, a senior analyst at Bernstein Research, in a note released Tuesday. "Overall wireline revenues declined a surprisingly sharp percentage versus a year ago." The analyst added that Verizon's wireline margins also dropped by 300 basis points to just 24.5%, a much worse showing than he had expected. Verizon's enterprise wireline revenues also took a hit during the fourth quarter, casting something of a cloud over the firm's 2009 prospects. "Enterprise results, inarguably the most cyclically exposed part of the portfolio, were perhaps the biggest story of the quarter," wrote Moffet. "Verizon's year-over-year decline of 2.2% versus our forecast of 1% suggests that things could get much worse in 2009."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV