Updated from 2:39 p.m. EST
With Monday's $68 billion bid to acquire Wyeth (WYE), pharmaceutical giant Pfizer (PFE) is setting itself up to potentially dominate the Alzheimer's disease treatment market for years to come. But in making such a big bet on one of society's most pressing unmet medical needs, the pharmaceutical giant may also face increased government scrutiny and possibly some resistance from its key partners.
Pfizer and the Japanese drug maker Eisai, currently co-market Aricept, the leading Alzheimer's drug today with worldwide sales of more than $2 billion.
But Aricept loses patent protection at the end of next year, which is one reason why Pfizer has decided to invest heavily in new Alzheimer's drug research.
Thomas P. Au:
The deal makes sense.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV