Updated from 12:43 p.m. EST
General Electric (GE) shares fell almost 12% Friday, after the conglomerate posted a 44% year-over-year decline in net income.
GE reported fourth-quarter net income of $3.7 billion, or 35 cents a share, which included $1.5 billion of after-tax restructuring and other charges, vs. $6.7 billion, or 66 cents a share, a year earlier.
Earnings from continuing operations in the quarter were $3.9 billion, or 37 cents a share before preferred dividends, down 43% from $6.8 billion last year. Including preferred dividends, GE earned 36 cents a share from continuing operations in the quarter, down from 68 cents a share a year earlier, the company said Friday.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected the industrial conglomerate and component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average to report earnings of 37 cents a share. Shares fell as much as 11.9%, but closed down 10.8% to $12.03. The company said segment profit fell 25% in the fourth quarter on a 67% decline at capital finance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV