When it comes to banking shares, smaller is better.
First Financial Bankshares (FFIN), Tompkins Financial (TMP), NBT Bancorp (NBTB), SY Bancorp (SYBT) and Arrow Financial (AROW) have outperformed larger financial companies such as Goldman Sachs (GS) and BlackRock (BLK).
First Financial, which carries a "buy" recommendation from TheStreet.com Ratings, is a top performer, based not only on stock performance but also on fundamentals. Focusing on the regional market in Texas, the bank has carved out a profitable niche. Although third-quarter revenue declined 5.57%, the company managed to boost earnings per share by 8.5%, outperforming the industry average and the S&P 500. Gross margins widened to 81.39% from 71.97% a year earlier, and operating margins stretched to 46.06% from 40.71%.
Regional, national and international banks have reported massive losses as a result of exposure to subprime mortgages. First Financial, which has a market value of about $1 billion, has avoided common pitfalls by staying true to the fundamentals of sound lending, maintaining regional focus and providing outstanding customer service.Investors have recognized the bank's potential, fueling a one-year price appreciation of 34.6%. Consequently, the stock is trading at a premium to its industry peers based on price to earnings, price to book and price to sales. However, the stock is below its 52-week high of $67. Other regional banks demonstrated a similar resistance to the pessimism that plagued financial stocks in 2008. The aforementioned stocks aren't cheap on an absolute basis, but there may be upside potential for people looking to play a trodden sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV