Obama's Economists Need to Be Near Perfect
If confirmed this week, Geithner will assume the role of Treasury secretary from Henry Paulson, one of the major architects of the mammoth $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. Paulson, the former CEO of Goldman Sachs (GS), has taken a beating in the media due to many of his decisions in 2008, so his replacement will likely be given considerable leeway at least in the early going. The market was certainly initially impressed by the Geithner nomination, and the major stock indices rallied sharply after Obama named him as his pick for Treasury.
"Henry Paulson, someone with his resume, wouldn't even be nominated in this environment," said Williams. "Paulson is an insider on Wall Street and that isn't need in Washington right now. The reality is that we're moving back to a Keynesian environment."
Both Williams and Joseph LaVorgna, managing director and chief U.S. economist with Deutsche Bank, say that a major fault that Paulson and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke have is the inability disseminate information clearly and advise effectively, something that should be fixed under the Obama administration.
"The ability to truly communicate effectively was absent under the Bush administration," Williams said. "The market felt
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV