U.S. property/casualty insurers are expected to pay out $25.2 billion in 2008 property losses, the fourth highest annual total in a decade, according to new data released Tuesday from an industry group.
The 37 catastrophes, defined as events with $25 million or more in insured property losses, include hurricanes, severe weather, winter storms and tropical storms, said the Insurance Service Organization's Property Claim Services Unit (PCS). Hurricanes caused the largest amount of loss, currently estimated at $13.3 billion in insured damage. Severe weather events -- damaging winds, large hail, tornadoes, and flooding -- caused an estimated $10.5 billion. Winter storms caused $1 billion in losses, and two tropical storms caused $300 million.
The state of Texas far surpassed all other states with $10.2 billion in insured losses. Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, and Georgia rounded out the top five with losses ranging from $1 billion to $2.2 billion.
State Farm Lloyds and Allstate Texas Lloyds, a unit of Allstate (ALL), are the two largest homeowners insurers in Texas with $1.6 billion and $600 million in 2007 premiums, respectively. 2007 is the most recent annual premium data available. State Farm Lloyds has a TheStreet.com Financial Strength Rating of B- (Good) while Allstate Texas Lloyds is rated a B (Good).Travelers Lloyds Insurance Co., a unit of Travelers Companies (TRV), writes homeowners, farmowners, and commercial multi peril coverage in Georgia, Ohio, Louisiana and Minnesota. It had combined 2007 premium volume in those four states of $1.8 billion. It also has a B- (Good) Financial Strength Rating from TheStreet.com Ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV