On rare occasions, charts do show clear patterns, making a trading strategy obvious. Even more unique is a chart that reveals a multitude of patterns whereby an investor can profit from both the long and short side of the market. With First Solar (FSLR), we have such a chart.
As I describe each week in my weekly newsletter EPIC Insights, reading charts is often more art than science.
If you put groups of analysts together in a room and ask them to determine patterns from a package of charts, expect to hear a plethora of responses. With each person bringing his or her point of view to the table, the patterns will be disputed and answers shall remain inconclusive.First Solar is among the most profitable manufacturers of solar modules. Having earned $158 million in 2007 and estimated to earn over $300 million in 2008, FSLR offers the rare combination of a high-growth company in a developing industry and positive income. Add in the intention of the Obama administration to expand spending on alternative energy, and FSLR should see business improve for years into the future. While the fundamentals of FSLR's business are strong, this article concerns itself with technical trades. According to the chart, FSLR embarked on a long rally that took the shares from $94 in September 2007 to $311 in May 2008 (231%). As the stock consolidated for a few months, we see the development of a traditional fan. When the final fan uptrend was broken, the bull run of the stock ended and the price plunged from $282 to a low of $87 (69%) in three months. As the stock bottomed and began heading higher, a triangle formed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV