Barack Obama is close to appointing his government IT guru, according to a report in Business Week, which says that the President-elect has narrowed the field to two candidates.
Representing corporate America is Padmasree Warrior, the chief technology officer (CTO) of networking giant Cisco Systems (CSCO), while Vivek Kundra, the CTO of Washington D.C., is touted as the public sector's leading candidate for the job.
Both executives have strong credentials. Warrior, for example, is the former CTO at Motorola (MOT), where she oversaw a $3.7 billion research and development budget, and a team of 24,000 engineers. Since joining Cisco in 2007, she has been heavily involved in the tech giant's internal restructuring, as well as fulfilling an IT evangelist's role, both inside and outside the company.Like the president elect, Warrior has strong links with Chicago, having served on the mayor's technology council, as well as on the boards of the city's Joffrey Ballet and Museum of Science and Technology. With Cisco aiming to cut its expenses for fiscal 2009 by more than $1 billion, now would not be a good time for the firm to lose its tech guru. The company's CEO John Chambers, for example, is a major advocate of Web 3.0 technologies such as social networking to foster innovation, boost productivity and reduce corporate travel. Chambers, however, is no stranger to the political world, and was even cited as a potential member of a John McCain cabinet, so is unlikely to stand in Warrior's way if she is selected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV