Foreclosure Buying: A Success Story
For two years, Christopher Burkhardt paid close to $750 a month to rent a one-bedroom home in Calaveras County, Calif. Like many renters, the 24-year-old was irritated to spend the majority of his income on housing, without the benefits of home ownership or the equity that can come with it.
"It's frustrating because you're not building
Then, late last year, Burkhardt, who works as a landfill maintenance worker, began researching foreclosure properties online. He'd read about the number of distressed homeowners in his neighborhood -- California is the top state when it comes to homes returned to banks due to foreclosure. The state recorded about 260,000 filings in 2008, according to Foreclosures.com.
This month, Burkhardt plans to move into his first purchased home, a 1,000 square-foot two-bedroom foreclosed property he bought for $126,000 in Rancho Calaveras. His monthly payments will come out to roughly $800 a month, slightly more than his monthly rent, but a far better investment."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV