Hawaii Luxe Hotels for Less
Fun in the sun is getting cheaper -- even in traditionally pricy Hawaii, and even at the luxurious end of the market -- as the pallid global economy is prompting hoteliers to craft special deals to gin-up business.
Some of the most attractive offerings are on Maui, which saw a 15.9% year-over-year drop in visitors in November 2008, according to state tourism officials. Maui, with an average hotel nightly room rate of $220.35, is the most expensive of the six major Hawaiian Islands when it comes to lodging. The statewide average in November was $177.41. But while it would be a stretch to say that paradise is on sale, the traveler's dollar will stretch farther this year.
Recent structural upgrades, restaurant makeovers and new, cheaper package deals at lovely Maui retreats such as the Fairmont Kea Lani and the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua allow visitors to snare luxe for less in 2009.
Many deals are just now kicking-in. On Jan. 4, for example, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts rolled out 30% discounts on room rates, running through Dec. 17, that encompass its Hawaii properties. "We've never had discounts like this," says Wendy Harvey, director of public relations at the Fairmont Kea Lani, an all-suite beachfront hotel located near the Maui seaside town of Wailea.The 30%-off offer applies "to all room categories, including villas,'' according to Harvey. Designed in a Moorish-inspired style and graced with dozens of suites, the Kea Lani also has 37 elegant, two-story villas with private lanais and ocean views. The villas are spacious enough to accommodate two couples or a large family and are a short stroll through lush gardens from Polo Beach.
|The Fairmont Kea Lani is a short stroll through lush gardens from Polo Beach.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV