Diversification, one of the bedrock principles of investing, didn't work in 2008.
There was simply no place to hide in the global slowdown, and international stocks struggled more than U.S. shares: The S&P 500 fell 38.5% last year, and benchmark international indices did even worse.
The MSCI EAFE (Morgan Stanley Capital International/Barra Europe, Australasia and Far East Index), a basket of large-company shares in developed markets outside the U.S. and Canada, dropped 45.1%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index, meanwhile, slid 54.5%.
Still, it's wise to include a broad mix of stocks in your portfolio: growth and value, large-cap and small-cap, a variety of sectors and, yes, international shares. Diversification provides the best opportunity for long-term growth, while minimizing risk. And many advisers believe investing internationally can maximize those benefits.Historically, that's been the case. Consider these numbers through the end of 2007. Foreign stocks, and those in emerging markets, offered the best long-term returns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV