Unload Shares of Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea
Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea (GAP) recently reported earnings, a company we rate a sell. Our recommendation is based on the company's weakness in fresh segment sales, dwindling cash position and reported net loss.
In addition, GAP faces risks from mounting debt, negative returns and a weak liquidity position. However, impressive revenue growth, increasing shareholders' equity and higher average weekly sales per supermarket are the upsides to our sell rating.
Here are the earnings highlights:
- The company's fresh segment performed poorly. GAP's third-quarter sales at its fresh segment contributed 50.5% of the total sales. Sales in this segment declined 2.9% to $1.07 billion from $1.10 billion, due to store closures.
GAP swung to a net loss of $13.63 million, or $1.35 per share, from a net profit of $57.31 million, or $1.73 per share, in the third quarter of 2007. The year-ago results benefitted from a gain of $106.06 million from the sale of Metro Inc. shares. Loss from continuing operations totaled $2.99 million compared to net profit of $73.08 million in the prior year's quarter.
GAP reported a dwindling cash position and higher leverage level. The company's cash position during the third quarter dwindled, as reflected by a 72.9% decline in cash and cash equivalents and a quick ratio of 0.47. Moreover, the debt-to-equity ratio deteriorated to 3.29 from 1.49 a year ago, as total debt surged 176.1% to $1.49 billion.
Other metrics are also negative. Dragged down by reported net loss, return on equity swung to negative 10.48% from a positive 33.46% in third-quarter 2007. Similarly, return on assets stood at a negative 2.43%, compared to a negative 5.16% a year earlier.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV