10 Ways We Fail Our Kids Financially
Whether you like it or not, you will be a primary force in how your kids handle finances as adults.
In these increasingly difficult economic times, you probably wish your parents had spent more time teaching you about the personal-finance basics before having to learn them the hard way. If you aren't careful, you could be setting up your own kids for the same financial trouble. Here are some of the ways you may be financially failing your kids:
10. You assume your kids will learn personal finance at schoolWhile it would be wonderful to be able to trust the school system to educate your kids in personal finance, that is not the case today. They didn't do it when you were a kid and things haven't changed since then. While there are 40 states that include personal finance to some extent in their educational guidelines, the reality is there are only seven states that require students to take a personal finance course in high school to graduate.
9. You assume your kids will learn personal finance on their ownIt is true that if your kids don't learn personal finance from you, they are likely to learn it on their own. The problem is they aren't likely to learn until they have already made some huge personal-finance mistakes you could have helped prevent. If you don't feel you have the knowledge to teach them, get some books from the library and make it required reading for the entire family.
8. You let your kids have everything they wantWhile there is a parental desire to give kids all the things they want, this is one of the worst things you can do because they will assume that it should continue to be that way even when they become adults. It's important to understand that in order to keep your personal finances in order, you often have to make a choice and you can't have everything you want. This will require some time and patience to explain why they can't have certain things and that money is not an unlimited resource that can be found anywhere.
7. You don't make your kids workYou may believe that, because your family makes enough money, you can spare your kids the hardship and annoyance of finding a summer job or part-time work in the last years of high school. This would be a mistake. Making your kids earn their own money teaches them how difficult it is to make the $50 they want for the latest video game. They will quickly learn that Uncle Sam takes his share as well.
6. Your kids don't have to contribute toward what they useWhen your kids get old enough to start using expensive gadgets, they need to pay their share. Letting your kids use a cell phone and paying the entire bill for them, or allowing them to drive the family car without buying gas or defraying insurance costs is a fantastic way to fail them financially. Teaching them early may mean you don't also have to bail them out for four years of college as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV