Updated from 10:09 a.m. EST
The $22-a-share transaction price, which includes the assumption of debt at the time of closing. Abbott will begin a tender offer for all outstanding shares on Jan. 26.
Abbott expects a 2009 profit of between $3.65 and $3.70 a share, factoring in the deal. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect a profit of $3.66 a share. Before one-time transaction-related costs, Abbott expects no impact to earnings per share in 2009, and believes the deal will be accretive beginning in 2010. Transaction costs will be disclosed at a later date."With AMO, Abbott is enhancing and strengthening its diverse mix of medical device businesses and gaining a leadership position in another large and growing segment," Abbott Chairman and CEO Miles D. White said in a company statement. "Additionally, Abbott's significant global presence will help drive growth opportunities for this business, especially in international markets, where favorable demographics are driving demand for advanced eye care procedures and products." Abbott shares closed down 2.2% to $50.06. Advanced Medical Optics shares were up 142.9% to $21.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV