"We don't necessarily need someone who has been a CEO," said Yale Braunstein a professor at U.C. Berkeley's School of Information. "My preference is for someone who has already done a role like this and understands the interplay between technology and policy."
Whereas most of the names thrown around by the media have been celebrities, Braunstein told TheStreet.com that knowledge of government IT, policy, and even the startup world, will be much more valuable to Obama's administration.
"We need someone who has a real feel for figuring out where technology is going, but also having some policy experience," he said. "In some areas, this person has to be the leader, but in other areas, like health IT, it has to be someone who can co-operate with someone else taking the lead."
This sentiment is echoed by the Computer and Communications Industry Association, which issued its tech policy recommendations for the Obama administration Wednesday.While the as-yet-to-be-defined CTO position needs a White House base, a host of organizations, including the Office of Management & Budget, the National Science Foundation, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, and the National Institute of Standards and Technology all lead in different areas, it said. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV