As the credit crisis and recession drags on, it's increasingly important to monitor the health of the bank or savings and loan that holds your money. While the FDIC has temporarily increased its individual deposit insurance limit to $250,000 (from $100,000) per account and waived insurance limits on non-interest bearing business checking deposits, these increases are set to expire at the end of this year.
And the end of the year will be here before we know it.
Regarding business checking, it is pretty easy for a business or municipal entity (such a s school district) to have large amounts of somebody else's money flowing through a transaction account. Since it's important to have a stable banking relationship, you should look into your bank's health way before the deposit insurance limit waiver on business transaction accounts expires.
It's easy to get your institution's rating for free via TheStreet.com Ratings, and if your bank or S&L has a rating of D+ or below, you might want to discuss the situation with your banker.TheStreet.com Ratings' model places the strongest weighting on capital adequacy, earnings and asset quality. The following table includes common ratios in these categories for the past five quarters:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV