Updated from 4:31 p.m. ET
Retailers reported dismal December same-store sales reports after one of the worst holiday seasons in decades, but some teen retailers managed to escape the gloom with positive results.
Overall, same-store sales fell 0.9%, according to Thomson Reuters, the second-worst showing since the company began collecting sales figures in 2000. Same-store sales, or sales in stores open at least one year, are considered a key gauge of a retailers performance because they measure sales at existing stores rather than newly opened ones.
Aeropostale (ARO) was one of the best performers, as same-store sales rose 12%, ahead of the 4.2% decline analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected. The company raised guidance and a Brean, Murray Carret & Co. analyst upgraded the stock to "Hold" from "Sell." Shares rose 71 cents to $20.44 for the day.
The Buckle (BKE), usually a strong performer, also beat expectations. Same-store sales rose 13.5%, even better than the 12% rise analysts expected. Shares rose $1.90, or 9.2% to $22.40.But not all teen retailers fared so well. Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) posted a 24% same-store sales decline, nearly matching the 23.5% decline analysts expected. The company also warned it will likely miss fourth-quarter guidance. Shares fell $0.83, or 3.5 percent, to $22.91. Pacific Sunwear of California (PSUN) said same-store sales fell 10%, more than the 9.3% analysts expected, and lowered fourth-quarter guidance. Shares fell 14 cents, or 7.9%, to $1.63.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV