Choose the Smartest Bulb From the CFL Pack
For example, I would save $25 a year by replacing the bulb in the ceiling light in my home office with a CFL. We save another $34 by using five halogen bulbs instead of conventional ones in our den. Halogens give off a lot of heat when they're used, and so aren't nearly as efficient at CFLs -- our savings would be almost $80 with those twisty bulbs. But they're still an improvement over conventional bulbs and work in places where CFLs might not, like in reading lamps or over bathroom mirrors.
The group also offers guidelines for choosing and making the best use of CFLs in your home.
If you're still using old-style bulbs throughout your house, give the EWG's guide a few minutes of your time and pick up some CFLs. In this recession and bear market, that lower electric bill could offer one financial bright spot this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV