Editor's note: At noon yesterday, Jim Cramer recommended buying January $65 call options (MONAM) in Monsanto (MON) for a trade in his blog. Monsanto was scheduled to post quarterly results this morning, and Cramer expected an upbeat report. The options were priced at just above $8 at the time that Cramer made his blog post and closed yesterday at $9. Meanwhile, Monsanto's shares were trading around $72. After the ag chemicals producer delivered a blowout fiscal first quarter this morning, Monsanto's shares opened nearly 10 points higher, sending the value of the options contracts as high as $19.70. Cramer's post below appeared yesterday on RealMoney. Click here for a free trial, and enjoy incisive commentary all day, every day.
Monsanto Options Look Too Good to Ignore
1/6/2009 12:00 PM EST
Monsanto (MON) January 65 calls. Mouthwatering to me. The company reports tomorrow and then goes on a road show next week. They will be talking about their pipeline, and they will be bullish as all get-out. These ag stocks have been slaughtered, and I want to find a way to play the darned thing ahead of the quarter, and I stumble on this contract.
It seems just right for me.Let me tell you how I would play this from the old hedge fund days. Obviously the stock is getting killed here, hence the opportunity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV