Editor's note: At noon yesterday, Jim Cramer recommended buying January $65 call options (MONAM) in Monsanto (MON) for a trade in his blog. Monsanto was scheduled to post quarterly results this morning, and Cramer expected an upbeat report. The options were priced at just above $8 at the time that Cramer made his blog post and closed yesterday at $9. Meanwhile, Monsanto's shares were trading around $72. After the ag chemicals producer delivered a blowout fiscal first quarter this morning, Monsanto's shares opened nearly 10 points higher, sending the value of the options contracts as high as $19.70. Cramer's post below appeared yesterday on RealMoney. Click here for a free trial, and enjoy incisive commentary all day, every day.
Monsanto Options Look Too Good to Ignore
1/6/2009 12:00 PM EST
Monsanto (MON) January 65 calls. Mouthwatering to me. The company reports tomorrow and then goes on a road show next week. They will be talking about their pipeline, and they will be bullish as all get-out. These ag stocks have been slaughtered, and I want to find a way to play the darned thing ahead of the quarter, and I stumble on this contract.
It seems just right for me.Let me tell you how I would play this from the old hedge fund days. Obviously the stock is getting killed here, hence the opportunity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV